Thursday, July 16, 2020

Russian Squat Routine


As any good gym rat, I was eager to get back into the gym during the COVID Shutdown, A little over 3-weeks ago that finally happened in my area. My younger son, Luke, and I jumped into things with both feet and all gusto. An approach that has historically landed me in injuries. Not this time, I am happy to say.
I went back to the gym with a solid plan from years past. I cycled several times over the years since I learned it at a YMCA in Ambler, PA. It was the Russian Squat routine. As Luke is 15, I was hesitant to put him on that. All four of my kids are hesitant to follow directly in my footsteps while training, so he stuck with the tried and true 3x10. I did the 1x20 and adding 5 to 10 pounds each session.
It occurs that some of you may not know the Russian Squat protocol. It is a very rough routine, both mentally and physically. If you have never tried it, I suggest that you do at least one 6-week cycle of it in your lifting career. It will add pounds to your lift in super-fast time as well as show you that you are more than you thought you were.
First, you take the weight which you are squatting for 3x10 reps. A good solid, hard 10 reps. This is the weight you will use for your starting squat weight for one set of 20. The breathing pattern is unique. It’s called breathing squats for a distinctly good reason. Your body will need O2.
For the first five reps, just breathe and squat normally. Squats six through 10 take one breath at the top of each squat. For squats 11 through 15 your breathing between squats should now be three to five breaths. For 15 to 20 just breathe as much as you need to. Take the time you need between squats for these last repetitions.
Here is the kick. You do NOT put that bar on the rack until you complete the 20th squat. I don’t care if your foot is curling up into a ball due to cramps, you keep squatting until you hit 20 repetitions.
You got your 20. You racked the weight. You even put a checkmark in your logbook. Fantastic! Next workout, you add 5 to 10 pounds on that squat and do it again.
Say you squat on Monday and you do 265 for 20 reps. Wednesday will be 270, at least.
This is what the routine looks like, overall:
Shoulder Press       3x12
Bench Press           3X10
Squat                      1x20
Pullover                 1x20

The pullover is done with a lightweight, I use a 50-pound curl bar. Lie down on a bench, hold the weight at arm’s length, and lower it as far as you comfortably can behind your head. Then, pull it back to its starting point above you. You will feel this stretching your chest cavity out. I don’t know what it does physically other than feel real good after the squats. The lifting coach who introduced me to this program back in the early 1990s said that, by expanding the chest cavity this way, you are forcing the body to grow. I do not know enough to say yes or no, but it sounds kind of strange. I will say it again, it feels good and I still do it.
After the main portion is done, I continue with shrugs, triceps extensions, and curls. You know, the ego-boosting exercises. I also train abs and those muscles along the spine every workout. Those muscles, the erector spinae, are vital in this routine. If you mess those up you are done. I do bodyweight back extensions as the last exercise. Doing this last allows me to hit them directly when already exhausted and warmed up. I can also focus on every repetition while doing them to keep my form perfect.
That’s the Russian Squat routine in a nutshell. I highly recommend that you give it a go once you’ve checked in with your doctor. Be forewarned, though, you will notice that your appetite increases while doing this. Your body size is going to grow, even if you are older, like me. I am 50 as of this writing. Three weeks in and I am seeing growth in my legs and arms.
While this is a 6-week cycle, I am stopping early. Luke, mentioned above, is getting ready for high school football and wrestling. He has the same slender build I did when I was his age. He wants to bulk up some. So, we are switching gears to a 5x5 routine for powerlifting.
I will keep you all updated on what that looks like and how it’s going for us.
Thank you.
Live well!
Live Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment